Wednesday, April 23, 2014

And then You Wake up Laughing.

I adore dreams, their whacky, yet impeccable logic; their shaking you to tears or laughter right before waking up; the fact that, when you have them, they shape for the good or for the bad the day that follows.

Today, though, I'd like to thank the Academy... Really, thank you, Hollywood. Thank
you for this award... ahem... dream - I have no idea how the hell it came to be, but it was a great, nonsensical and too short a scene that played out inside me while, too exhausted from a white night, I crashed asleep for 20 minutes or so.

Sean, and Kevin were there... I had the impression of walking through the reality beyond the set of "Mystic River", the only exception being that I look nothing like Tim.

So, it's late at night; Sean, Kevin, and I are walking back to my place, we're evidently all sort of wasted, but still able to hold a thought for perhaps ten seconds so we're stumbling a little and have little, or no intention to call it a night. We sit at a small kitchen table in an apartment which is totally alien, yet the coziest I could think of.
A lamp hangs just a few inches above our heads. We're in a little pool of light while distant sounds and lights from whatever city we're in seep through the curtains.

We're just back from the airport, but have stopped for drinks along the way. Long days such as the one we've just had (missing a connection, landing late, losing all our baggage) just crave to become longer, so they can get engraved deeper into your brain, embed permanently in your limbic system.
Sean sits opposite me, Kevin to my left on my same side of the table. We get tumblers out, pour bourbon.
Sean acts pissed off, but has really a hard time showing that, he's grinning while he blurts out, "Fuck, man, this trip was awful... and who knows when we're gonna get our bags back..."
"Indeed..." Kevin chimes in, his oratory blunted by the last sip of Jack.
"Yeah... " my turn now, "I think if the plane had been hijacked it'd have been more fun!"
"Right! " shouts Sean, "Or at least cooler!! We'd have gone to a more interesting place!"
"Or crashed..." goes Kevin. Sean and I exchange glances, we both think Kevin is going to get into one of those depressed drunken moods. 
We're not gonna let that happen.
"Well, Kevin, " I add, "We wouldn't go for just any hijack, right? Ours would be the pilots having had enough and changing itinerary... 'Ladies and gentlemen, sorry but fuck your boring destinations, we're going to get some serious drinks now... As soon as we land in ...whatever' "

We all start laughing, even though it's not really that fun and I wake up laughing, too, the glow of that night out with drinking buddies (and especially famous ones, at that) of those exchanged laughs still warming me up, brightening up my day.

And I continue to look nothing like Tim.


Creative Commons License
And then You Wake up Laughing. by Dario Beltrami is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://ubhaikuitous.blogspot.com/2014/04/and-then-you-wake-up-laughing.html.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ubhaikuitous.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive